If you have decided that a fast property buyer is a right route for selling your house, you must make sure that you carry out all of the right due diligence to ensure that the company you choose is trustworthy and has a good reputation.
To help you on the way to picking the right property buyer to sell your home fast to, we have put together our top tips to avoid companies which could give you a bad deal or not treat you well:
- Check they are accredited – to ensure you are protected you should make sure that the property buyer you opt for is part of The Property Ombudsman and The National Association of Property Buyers. These boards have been established to regulate the fast property buying industry and have regulations which companies must abide by.
- Check their reviews – a good company should be proud to showcase their reviews, so go and check out the testimonials on their website, as well as from third-party review sites such as Trustpilot to ensure the onsite ones aren’t false. You can check out our wonderful reviews here.
- Get a few offers– make sure you talk to a few companies to source the best offer for your home. This will also give you a chance to get a feeling for how the different companies come across, for example, were they friendly and empathetic or distant and unhelpful? Investigate a property buyers’ set of ethics which will help you get a feel for the company you are working with. Just be aware that any professional fast property buying company needs to make a margin to be able to run their business. For this reason, if any of the initial offers are greater than 85% of the current market value it is highly likely that they will significantly drop their offer later down the line.
- Meet someone from the company – once you have selected the fast property buyer you wish to sell to, make sure you know who you are dealing with by meeting with someone from the company. Many fast property buying companies have an impersonal service as they are nationwide making it impossible to visit every one of the properties they buy.On the other hand, smaller companies are much more likely to be able to meet you in person as well as providing you with a bespoke service which accommodates all of your needs. We visit every one of the clients who accept our initial offer so we can get a better idea of your situation and ensure that you are 100% comfortable with our processes. Find out more about us here.
- Get everything in writing – as with anything as important as selling your home, you should always get everything in writing to avoid any confusion or forgotten promises. If you have a phone call with the property buyers, get them to send you an email (or vice versa) to make sure that it is documented and you can prove any agreements.
- Don’t sign until you’re sure – again, a rule for life, but make sure you read through everything they send you and, most importantly, the contract before you sign or agree to anything. Any good property buyer will give you the time and space to sign the contract and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Also, be aware that up until exchange of contracts, apart from your instruction documents to the solicitor, you should not be asked to sign anything at all. This is imperative as certain companies may tie you into a contract whereby they do not hold their end of the bargain and you are unable to sell to anyone within a certain time frame (usually 6 months to 1 year).
- Don’t rush – Finally, although fast property buyers are there to help you sell your house quickly, don’t rush anything; make sure you do it at a speed you’re comfortable with. The option to sell fast is part of the convenience and flexibility fast property buyers offer you, however, there should not be any pressure to do so.
If you’re considering the fast property buying root to sell your home quickly, please feel free to get in touch using our form and we can answer any of your questions. We always endeavour to give you the best price possible and will respect any decision or timescale you want to work towards – we’re here to make the process a simple and enjoyable one!