For our latest piece of property advice, we look at the potential of downsizing, and why Vivo may work for you if you are looking to relocate to a cosier abode. But firstly:
What is downsizing?
In the property industry, ‘downsizing’ is the act of moving from a large property to a smaller home. Here we have outlined how downsizing your house doesn’t have to be difficult.
Why would I want to downsize?
Downsizing is a common, natural and logical move to make for most people in the UK, particularly when homeowners are nearing the age of retirement. Another motivation for downsizing is when homeowners’ children have ‘flown the nest’ leaving them with a large property or ‘empty nest’, one that no longer suits the needs of its occupants. Living in a property that is noticeably large can also be lonely and distinctly unhomely too. People often find themselves only living in certain areas of the house, leaving substantial sections of the home unused, such as additional bedrooms and large gardens. However, homeowners still have to pay for the areas of the house that they no longer use (such as general utility bills) and spend time maintaining the property which can be tiresome. Ultimately, you want your property to cater to what is important for you, and more often than not a smaller, cosier home reflects this, than a larger, family home.
What are the benefits of downsizing your home?
- Save money: by selling your home and downsizing, one of the main benefits is that you save money. A smaller property will naturally incur lower utility and running costs. Plus, a smaller space will also keep in check any frivolous spending on household items too!
- More time: having a smaller home gives you more time to do the things you love as you will spend less time maintaining the property and doing household chores. Therefore, downsizing is the perfect time to invest in a new hobby or return to a former passion of yours!
- Less clutter: having a decluttered living area is proven to benefit your health! With larger properties, you tend to acquire large amounts of dusty clutter and materialistic items that you don’t really need. In a smaller home, you have less space so it’s an opportunity to fill your home only with things you really require and cherish. Furthermore, you can make some money by selling unwanted items.
- Less stress: due to the economic benefits of living in a smaller property, you’re likely to have decreased stress levels due to a reduced level of financial burden placed upon you. Coupled with the fact that you’ll have more time and money to do what you love, downsizing is often thought to make you happier and more content with your life.
- More comfort: smaller houses are, by nature, cosier than larger properties which is a big motivation for downsizing homeowners. Going from an empty nest to a comforting abode will certainly make you happier with your surroundings.
- More suitable area: as we grow older, the area that we wish to live in will naturally begin to change. Lots of homeowners relish the prospect of downsizing as they can now live closer to children that have ‘flown the nest’ or to a quieter area with more like minded people. Popular areas are quiet country villages and places by the seaside.
- Accessibility: cosy bungalows are becoming a favourite downsizing route for homeowners who wish to reside in a property that is kinder on the body. This is because bungalows remove the accessibility issue of using stairs, plus you now have everything you need on a single level too!
If that’s whet your appetite for looking at a potential new, smaller, home, you may find our house viewing checklist useful before you go house hunting! In addition, if you are looking to downsize your home, here’s why selling your property to Vivo Property Buyers may be just right for you:
- We’re Fast: if downsizing is an attractive option because you want a stress-free life, then why not enjoy a hassle free house sale too? We can buy your home in just 7 days, giving you a quick release of funds for your next move.
- Guaranteed Sale: once you have accepted our formal offer, your house sale is guaranteed, no ifs or buts. Selling your home on the open market can be slow and potential deals can fall through at any moment, downsizing in particular isn’t easy at the moment with the current UK housing market being unstable. Furthermore, one of the reasons that you may be moving is to reduce stress, so the open market may not be the best route.
- We’re Private: If you’re wishing to move to lead a quieter life, by selling your house to Vivo there’s no for sale signs outside your house for nosy neighbours to pry in on your business.
- We buy sold-as-seen: we buy the property in its current state. This means you don’t have to exhaust yourself making major property amendments to help entice a sale. In addition, larger properties will often necessitate more ambitious changes; with Vivo you won’t need to lift a paintbrush!
- We’re Flexible: after we buy your house, we let you stay in your property to tie up any loose ends. This will help give you time to decide what you want to keep or potentially sell from your former property. Overall, we’re here to help you with the next chapter of your life!
In the past, we have helped people with their downsizing journey by buying their home quickly. Read George’s story:
George wanted to downsize but didn’t feel comfortable having lots of people view his house. We made an offer George was happy with and once we were all agreed and our solicitors were instructed, George started looking for another, smaller property to buy. We agreed with George that he was welcome to stay in the house until his new purchase completed. This way, George had the guarantee of having enough money to buy the new place, and still had a place to live in the meantime. Once his new purchase was ready to complete, full funds were released and George moved into the new apartment.
Here’s what George had to say about selling his home to Vivo Property Buyers:
“I am extremely pleased with the whole thing because the people I dealt with where honest & kind and made me feel comfortable in all aspects of the sale. Many thanks to them”
If you feel that selling your home to Vivo is the right choice for you, get in touch with us by filling in the short form below and we can make you an offer in under an hour. If you want some inspiration for really smaller properties, read our Tiny Houses Guide!
Leave a Reply